Last night we launched our first-ever Dublin City Brewing Co. Tasting Club. The first in our series of virtual events was a sell-out session with our Head Brewer Fergal taking the floor with top Dublin Chef Kwanghi Chan of the Bowls by Kwanghi restaurant on Marlborough Street.
Below is our recipe from last night's session with Kwanghi.
Chicken with Chilled Rice Noodles, Cucumber and Sichuan Chilli & Black Garlic Dressing
This chilled Sichuan chicken salad packs a mouth-numbing punch & flavour on your palate, perfect as a street food snack to go with an ice-cold Renegade Red Ale.
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 6 spring onions, white parts thinly sliced, green tops reserved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, split
- 2 thin slices of ginger
- 2 chicken breasts (about 160gm each)
- 180 gm rice vermicelli noodles
- 1½ tsp sesame oil
- 150 gm podded frozen edamame
- 1 tbsp roasted black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds
- 2 cucumbers, seeds removed, cut into long, thin julienne
- 1 cup coriander, coarsely chopped
Black garlic Mala dressing
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp black Chinese vinegar
- 3 tablespoons of ChanChan Mala Black Garlic Peanut Rayu
Combine stock, spring onion tops, garlic, chilli, ginger and 500ml water in a saucepan just large enough to hold chicken snugly. Bring to a simmer, add chicken, and simmer for 5 minutes, then cover, remove from heat and leave to continue cooking for 15 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool, then shred meat
- Meanwhile, cook rice noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until (2-3 minutes), stirring so noodles don't stick together. Drain, refresh in iced water, drain again and toss with 1 tsp sesame oil and set aside
- Blanch edamame in a saucepan of boiling salted water until bright green Refresh in iced water, drain and toss with remaining sesame oil.
- For the dressing, combine ingredients in a small bowl stir with chopsticks
- Toss chicken with sesame seeds and a little of the dressing, and combine in bowls with noodles, edamame, cucumber, coriander and sliced spring onion, and serve drizzled with remaining dressing.